MPD CRIME ALERT
Attempt Kidnap/Assault May 4th, 2012
On April 21st, at approximately 12:49 am, on the block of 3500 Aldrich Ave N, a female was approached as she was walking to her front door by a male, asked for directions, and then asked to use her phone. When the female said no and turned to enter her home, the male came up from behind her, put his hand over her mouth and grabbed her around the waist. The female was able to punch the victim and get away.
The Suspect is described as a black male, 6’1” tall, medium build, around 200 lbs. He was wearing a dark zip up hooded sweatshirt, and dark pants. The suspect was also wearing gloves with a grip like material on the palms and fingers.
What you can do:
• Before arriving to your destination and getting out, observe your surroundings to make sure no one suspicious is around. If you see someone suspicious, drive around the block and or wait until they leave,
• If an unknown person is still hanging around that doesn’t live in the area, call 911 with a good description.
• Have your keys ready and in your hand when approaching your car or home.
• Use your best judgment when resisting an attacker. If its valuables they want, give it to them.
• If you believe they don’t have a weapon and other people are around to hear, scream, yell, kick and do whatever you can to draw attention and scare the person away.
If you are the victim of and assault, try to get a good description of the person. Note their age, race, height, build, hair and clothing. Make a mental note of any unusual or distinguishing features. If a vehicle is involved try to get the make, model, and license number. Call 911 immediately. If possible, write down your description before the police arrive while it’s still fresh in your mind.
For more information on personal safety and crime prevention activities in your neighborhood call the 4th Precinct Community Crime Prevention/SAFE Unit at 673-5804.
For individuals with disabilities:
If you need this material in Braille, large print, computer disk, or cassette tape, call 673-3447. Sign language interpreters available call 673-3220 or 673-2626 (TTY). Please allow two weeks for accommodation.